Sunday, May 15, 2011

Those Irksome Teenage Pangs

I wish I were a lot of things, but I've never not wanted to be me.  I mean, sure, when we were little we all wanted to be a princess, or Hermione Granger, or even Misty from Pokémon - what?  Oh, that was just me?  Oh...

AWKWARD.

But in reality, we didn't want to be them, we just wanted to be exactly like them.  I find that this is a little bit more than slightly different.I guess I'm not really going anywhere with that thought, but right now I'm fifteen.  My freshman year of high school has *goes and checks assignment notebook* twenty-four days eft of its life, and I couldn't be more excited that summer was coming.  I used to not look forward to summer because I've never gone to camps, and all my friends did.  So the only time I would see them was during the school year.  This was also the time when I loved school, so to say that my perspective on life has changed a tad is an understatement.  I don't really have many neighbors my age in my neighborhood, so forget a block party, or whatever those crazy shenanigans are called.  All I had access to was my family, and boy, did we have some fun.  My mom used to be a teacher so there's always been bins of activities, and toys lying around the basement.  Stuff like giant cardboard bricks, and pet store play stuff, and pizza joint stuff, play food, you know, the works, so to me it never really got old as long as I had either my brother or sister.  And even when I was alone, I loved to sing to myself, make up stories, and when all would fail, I would pop in a VHS of some super awesome disney film that we had in a case next to the television set.  I was quite the independent tyke, if I do say so myself.  I was one of the happiest kids you could ever meet, and on every other day you could probably catch me singing "Hakuna Matata" as I skipped up the stairs.

Lately, I've been finding myself doing things that I haven't done in years.  Last Tuesday, I somehow found myself watching the first season of Pokémon, and actually enjoyed it.  Laugh all you want, you know you love it, though.  I reminisced on when I used to watch it, and while looking through old pictures, I found one of me when I was off to school for kindergarten.  I looked at the picture and thought, Oh, God.  I had to be holding up bunny ears, I was so mature, whatever, I was five.  And that's when I saw it:  I was wearing plain girly clothes, shirt shorts, pink backpack, and WHAM!!   You're hit with the realization that I am the coolest cat you've ever seen.  I had on knee-high Pokémon socks.  You.  Are.  Welcome.

As a teenager, you find yourself missing things you loved as a child, and I've been having irksome pains in my chest ** lately.  So, a new thing is a part of my blog that is gonna be about Those Irksome Teenage Pangs, and you can come along a trip down memory lane with me.  I'm not really sure how it'll go... Mainly because I'm planning on winging it, but also because I just don't have to know where I'm going.  And that's the beauty of it.

And yo thought I forgot.


**... and I just know it's her fault, that b*tch! (virtual high five for the reference --> *high-five*)

No comments:

Post a Comment