Sunday, April 17, 2011

BEDA: Nostalgic Submission

My mission today was simple:  Locate and retrieve a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. After dinner, I practically begged my father to drive us to the nearest store that sold DVD's, so naturally, we went to BJ's.  I was completely focused, well, mostly, well... kind of, but anyways - I was focused on finding this DVD as soon as possible because Harry Potter is my childhood, pretty much.  To say that I'm a fan would be an understatement.  You should've seen the look on my face when I found them.  Or even the sound I made.  I'm weird, DON'T JUDGE ME.  So I had the precious gem in my hands, but as I sprinted down the aisle, I saw more of them.  Except this time, they were shinier, and in a plastic case, and had the words "Blue Ray, DVD, Digital Copy" on it, and also the phrase "Includes an opening scene of the final film."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you understand what happened in my brain for a fraction of a second.  I put the box I was holding back on the shelf, and picked up the encased awesome.  Just to stress the point, I have a bookcase in the corner of my room entirely filled with Harry Potter memorabilia in addition to the two posters I have on my walls.  Yeah.

But the thing that struck a chord in me today might've had to do with the fact that I saw Toy Story 3 for the first time this morning, and tears of joy were leaking out of the corners of my eyes because the last scene is just so perfect for all of us who grew up with those movies.  So, when I was finally in the car with the movie in my hands, I found myself cradling it.  I knew it was weird, but Harry Potter is a part of my life that has been there for over ten years, and I was holding the beginning of the end.  I realized two minutes later that tears were dripping down my cheeks.  

I think it's growing up, that makes it so tough, and I don't mean that in the obvious sort of way, because someone is going to read that and say "yeah, duh.  You're an idiot."  No I'm not, so would you kindly shut up, thanks.  I mean, to realize what you had in the past as a kid is now completely different, or quite possibly gone, is terrifying and makes the word "nostalgia" feel like it's caught in your throat.  That's why I also bought Toy Story 1 and 2 while I was out, because I literally cannot recall a time when I had not had a copy of the movie.  I feel old now.  Wow...  I wonder, to whoever reads this, what's something that was one really big part of your childhood that you remember fondly?  Now I'll go sit pensively in a corner until dawn, thanks.  Total nostalgic submission happening today.  Sentimental has never been so close to home on a random day.  Seriously, nothing significant was happening today, so I watched Toy Story 3.  Just... Wow.

Song of the day is predictable.

You've Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman

1 comment:

  1. I'M COMMENTING FEEL SPECIAL.

    don't worry. the harry potter trailers make me cry because it's legit the end of my childhood if not the world.

    also toy story three is legit the most emotional movie i have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete